Saturday, September 24, 2011

THE WISDOM OF KENNY ROGERS

Kenny Rogers put it this way: ". . . you gotta know when to fold 'em." It is with regret that this blog is folding. It started as a way to write some 50-year later postings based on John Steinbeck"s l962 book, TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY. But it very quickly evolved into fact/opinion pieces on events here and abroad, with a liberal tilt.

Lately I found myself increasingly cynical about where we are at politically and policywise and what to me the future portended. And, increasingly, I was writing about the Republican mantra on taxes and spending while also hearing what seemed like an evolving Democratic mantra on the same subjects. It got to the point where I was creating my own hypercynical mantra on these and other subjects like the setbacks for U.S. policy in the post-Arab Spring world.

So, because of the self-created mantra combined with the intellectual fatigue that accompanies chronological aging, the time seemed right to shut up, fold my cards, and silently slip away.

I'd like to thank my readers and those who felt there was enough said in some postings to warrant a comment in agreement or disagreement. I'd particularly like to thank my daughter who set up the blogsite and performed a variety of techie tasks as needed.

So thank you all and best wishes.

Charlie

8 comments:

  1. To quote another country song "This is where the cowboy rides away". Well thanks to you for the informative reading on current events and for reminding us of Charleys adventures. Best wishes to you.

    Jeffrey (follower since November 2010)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am very sorry to hear I won't be able to read the latest on domestic and foreign politics here but I must say I understand the sentiment. There isn't a lot happening that can be seen in a good perspective right now. I really appreciated this venue as a place to read a thoughtful account of current events and many times this was my only source of current events when I didn't have time to watch the news. So thank you to you Charlie and best wishes on future endeavors.

    An appreciative follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will miss the bi-weekly postings and the insights they have provided. In keeping with the cowboy theme, happy trails to you and yours and mahalo, as we paniolos say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure am sorry to hear this blog is stopping. I enjoyed reading it and appreciated the opportunity to say my piece from time to time. Thanks for the great venue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Cosmo said, will miss the bi-weekly postings. Thanks for the good reading and current event updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeffrey, dpchuck, Cosmo, Carole, Desert Girl

    Mahalo nui loa, translated from Hawaiian means thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am sorry to see this blog end. Haven't commented for a good while but always enjoyed the perceptive insights. Can understand your cynicism in the current political climate and can only hope for big changes in 2012. Thanks for a good run and best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sidney

    Missed your comments. Thanks for this one. Enjoyed the run. Aloha.

    ReplyDelete