Monday, December 6, 2010

REMEMBERING PEARL HARBOR AND FRANK HEWLETT

As a World War II buff I could not let tomorrow's 69th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in l941 go by without using today's posting to make a personal note, so forgive the frequent use of "I", "me", and "my".

I remember hearing of the attack on the radio soon after it occurred. At the time I was in grade school but clearly remember the occasion. As the family and I were hearing about the attack via radio, my future wife was watching the smoke and flame from the heights of Wilhemina Rise in Honolulu where she lived. This is a lead in to talking about Frank Hewlett who made it possible for me to go to Honolulu where I met my future wife; he was himself a World War II story. Before telling a bit about Frank, let me briefly relate how he came to be my life-changer.

Frank and I met in l959 when I was a fresh-out-of-college reporter for United Press International in Washington, D.C. At the time Frank. who had retired from United Press (it became UPI after UP merged with the International News Service in 1958), was a stringer for several newspapers, including the Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Since part of my assignment was to cover Hawaii news, we had frequent occasions to get together. On one occasion we were having lunch at the National Press Club when I casually remarked that the next time he talked with his Honolulu boss, to ask if they might have an opening for a new reporter. Three days later I got a call from the managing editor asking if I was serious about coming to Hawaii. I was, and two weeks later I was on a Matson cruise ship heading for the Islands. Soon after I met my wife-to-be. Now back to Frank's story.

Just before the fall of Manila in December l941, Frank and his wife, Virginia, were evacuated to Corregidor island from where he traveled back and forth to Bataan to report on that historic but tragic battle; his wife served as a nurse on Corregidor. As the Japanese got close to capturing Bataan and threatening Corregidor, Frank was evacuated to India. He was told to wait there and his wife would soon follow. It didn't turn out that way. Virginia was captured by the Japanese and spent the war as a prisoner for the next 2-1/2 years. My wife and I met Virginia when we later moved to Washington. As told to us by Frank at a party at his home in nearby Virginia, his wife was not the same after her wartime ordeal. She would plan and prepare parties and dinners but would not join the guests. She preferred to stay in the kitchen while the guests socialized. And because of her diet while in captivity, rice became an essential part of her meals.


In talking about his war experiences, Frank made it clear he was no fan of General Douglas MacArthur, the Philippines commander. He noted that MacArthur was called by some "dugout Doug" when MacArthur and his family left the islands during the battle of Bataan to take his command to Australia at the order of President Roosevelt. It was some years later in reading the book, "The Rising Sun" by John Toland, I found out that Frank, in covering the Bataan battle was the author of a well known verse of the time, about the men fighting there.

We're the battling bastards of Bataan:
No mama, no papa, no Uncle Sam,
No aunts, no uncles, no cousins, no nieces,
No pills, no planes or artillery pieces,
And nobody gives a damn.

One story he told was about his writing the first news report on the rescue of the survivors a PT boat crew whose boat had been rammed by a Japanese destroyer in the Solomon Islands in l943 -- the captain of the boat was Lieutenant Junior Grade John F. Kennedy. On the night Kennedy was elected President in l960, I was on the desk at UPI when Frank's original story about the rescue was recovered from the files and sent out over the wire. Frank was one of the people who was given a PT 109 gold tie clip by Kennedy.

A final story about Frank and his close connection with the Pacific War occurred at a summer outdoor party we attended at Frank's home. He introduced us to one of his friends, Colonel Rufus Bratton, the army's intelligence liason officer in Washington at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. Bratton was responsible for delivering decoded messages from the broken Japanese diplomatic code to President Roosevelt and other top civilian and military leaders privy to the secret information. Bratton was one of the featured persons in the 1970 move, "Tora, Tora, Tora" about events in the U.S. and Japan leading up to and including the December 7 attack. Bratton's role was played by E. G. Marshall.

So when another December 7 to Remember Pearl Harbor rolls around, it's a time for me to also remember Frank Hewlett, a kind and gentle man who was both a life changer and a personification of my remembrances of World War II.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a story. That was intresting to hear a personal perspective of WWII. I thought you were a professor but you were also a newsman with an intersting background. Sounds like Pearl Harbar Day has a lot of significance to you. I have family that served in WWII and I like to hear the personal stories as I am a bit of a buff though I have to admint I didn't know about Kennedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jeffrey. Very interesting blog. I watched a movie not too long ago on women prisoners during World War II. It was a really eye opening movie. It is hard to think about what Frank's wife must have gone through for 2 1/2 years. Your personal experiences make for very interesting reading. Sounds like Frank changed your wife's life too as she met you when you became a reporter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffrey

    Started off as a reporter but later went back to school for the degrees that turned me into a professor for 25 years. The day Kennedy was inaugurated, I was with UPI and standing on the corner of 15th and Pennsylvania avenue when he and Jackie came by in their open car. He waved; I like to think he was waving at me but more likely it was to the crowd behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There have been a couple of movies with that theme and they are eye openers about the treatment of women. Yes, it was a life changer for my wife also so Frank was a big presence in both our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was growing up in Arlington, VA, Frank Hewlett lived 5 houses down from me. I remember him as one of the kindest, gentlest people I have ever known.

    I delivered newspapers to him and mowed his lawn for about four years. A bluejay lived in his backyard and Mr. Hewlett had "trained" it to eat peanuts from his shoulder. When I first started mowing his lawn, the bluejay would swoop down at me and startle me, but Mr. Hewlett showed me how to rest a peanut on my shoulder, stand very still, and the bluejay would land on my shoulder, pick up the peanut and fly off.

    On some brutally hot and humid days, when I was struggling with the mower,he would bring me out a glass of lemonade, tell me to sit, and he would take a couple of laps mowing the grass.

    I also remember Mrs. Hewlett as a very quiet and retiring person. It wasn't until many years later, after learning of her captivity by the Japanese, that I began to understand why.

    Except for my parents, Frank Hewlett is the one adult from my neighborhood that I remember the most clearly, and fondly.

    ReplyDelete